I’ve always liked Bowness park, but after this visit I can honestly say I LOVE it!
There are so many things to do here! If your kids are bored, you can easily move onto something else or you can try to tackle as many things as you can and feel like you are having a few different playdates all at once!
Ten things to do at Bowness park:
- Go to the park
- Go to the wading pool
- Ride the train
- Enjoy a snack from the cafe
- Sit on the dock (watch the geese, eat your snack, or I’ve even seen kids using motorized toy boats from here)
- Rent a Pedal Boat, Canoe or Kayak
- Play by the river (throw rocks or launch your rafts and go for a float)
- Walking paths (bike rides, runs or dog walks)
- Eat at the Seasons of Bowness (fun date night idea!!)
- Go skating in the winter
We got there at 9:30am and were the first people at the park. We went with my friend and her 3 kids who are 4.5, 2 and 2 months old. It was nice to be there first because we could chat while easily watching the kids play. If you have kids and go on playdates you know how hard actually catching up with your friends can be!!
- After entering the parking lot, go left to park close to the park.
- Behind the park there is a big grass field and another smaller park with more slides and swings.
- There are a lot of benches and picnic tables all around
- To the right of the park by the parking lot there are also washrooms that actually aren’t that bad for a public washroom. Thankfully they were there because Yael had a #2 accident and we had to dispose of some underwear…..
After the park we went to the wading pool and had so much fun! Every kid enjoyed it (except the 2 month old who slept through it all).
Wading pool info:
- Open 9am-9pm
- To park close to the wading pool enter the parking lot and go right.
- To get to the wading pool from the parking lot you must walk 5min (depending on your kids speed) down a path
- You can also get dropped off and picked up by the train
- There is a decent size grassy area with a mix of sun and shade, with a few picnic tables.
- Washrooms & showers are right there
- It is completely fenced in
- There are a few water features on the pool deck
- Ice cream and small snacks/drinks available at the little kiosk at the entrance
After the wading pool we caught the train which the kids LOVED!
- Approx. a 10-15 min ride
- Goes around the east side of the park (does not go near the park)
- Tickets are $10 for 2 adults & 2 kids or $5 for a single rider. Under 1 is free
- Purchase tickets at the cafe near the Seasons of Bowness restaurant
After the train we went to the cafe to get a popsicle and we ate them on the dock while we watched the geese. We were all getting tired at this point (moms more then the kids 😉 )but all the kids talked about how much fun they had and we all agreed we would do it again soon.
- 4.5 yr old girl: POOL
- 2.5 yr old girl: the park & the popsicle
- 2 yr old boy: the train!!
- 1 yr old boy: splashing at the pool. I think that might have been the most fun he’s had in his ENTIRE life lol
- 2 month old- snuggles in the carrier
- Moms: that our kids were well behaved the whole time and that we felt so accomplished by doing so much with 5 kids under 5! Go us!
Overall, we had such a fun day. The park is very well maintained and the wading pool is only 1 year old so it is in perfect shape. We had so much fun that I took the kids there a few days later to have a picnic and Dan met us after work. We had fun playing and throwing rocks by the river. It felt like a totally different place then what we experienced before and I loved that!
Other Bowness notes:
- Location: 8900 48 Ave. N.W.
- Parking is free
- Overflow parking and a shuttle is available on the weekends
- All of Bowness is mom central and in about 45 min I saw 3 moms nursing their babies, no judgement there!
- If you are going from the park to the wading pool or vice versa prepare for a decent walk. You must cross the entire parking lot (either through it or around it on the path) and then down another path. It is not an awful walk with kids just be prepared- or plan to take the train.
- They have the cutest little boat rental hut. More info on that here
- They also have skate rentals near the cafe if you go in the winter
- For more info on Bowness park visit their website
Check my Instagram stories for more. Thanks for reading!
p.s. Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments!